I’ve been working on a new engine the last couple of months. As always, it started out as a small prototyping environment for all my rendering and coding experiments. I wanted to create something usable this time. Something future-proof. Something “real”. Something I’m not scared to touch after a couple of months… and thus something I can share with the public with an easy conscience.
That’s how Intrinsic was born.
Intrinsic uses Vulkan as its primary rendering API and includes many of the things I’ve learned during the last couple of years when working on the renderer/engine and PS4 backend for “Lords of the Fallen” and also – of course – for “The Surge“.
And most importantly: It tries to improve on all the errors I’ve made in the past.
To get this out of the way: This project is nowhere near feature complete – and most certainly never will be. It’s still wearing its child shoes. It’s not even close to a polished state. I’m also very sure that I’m going to refactor and overhaul things in the coming months. It sometimes even misses basic things. But: the code base is clean, it’s an efficient foundation and it’s open for many new things and features in the future. That’s the reason why I’ve released Intrinsic under the Apache 2.0 license. It’s available on GitHub – take a peek and try it for yourself! 🙂
I’ve invested a lot of time in this project and I’m really sure that I will continue working on it for a long time.